Do medications and lifestyle recommendations we make for treating or preventing lung disease have similar effects in the perioperative period?
Strategies to prevent or minimize postoperative pulmonary complications should be initiated in the preoperative period and carried through the postoperative period. Lung expansion maneuvers and smoking cessation have the most supporting data.
- Institute strategies to reduce risk of postoperative pulmonary complications (R2, R3)
Review case 3 for this section of the module.
- 2006 ACP Guidelines pgs 578 – 79
- UpToDate chapter: Strategies to Reduce Postoperative Pulmonary Complications
- Smoking Cessation Reduced Postoperative Complications: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Stopping Smoking Shortly Before Surgery and Postoperative Complications
- Cochrane Review: Incentive spirometry for prevention of postoperative pulmonary complications in upper abdominal surgery
- Cochrane Review: Incentive spirometry for prevention of postoperative pulmonary complications after coronary artery bypass graft
Videos: (total viewing time 8:49)
Annotated PowerPoint Slides: (Note: To download the slides click “Save” at the top of the presentation. After downloading, click on “View” tab and view as “Notes Page”)