This module focuses on the assessment and management of patients with diabetes, thyroid disorders, and those taking chronic corticosteroids who are undergoing surgery. The stress response to surgery presents unique challenges to managing patients with endocrine disorders.
- Properly dose diabetic medications to avoid hypo- and hyperglycemia in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. (R1, R2, R3)
- Properly dose T3 and T4 in hypothyroid patients undergoing nonthyroid surgery (R1, R2, R3)
- Properly control hyperthyroid symptoms in hyperthyroid patients undergoing nonthyroid surgery (R2, R3)
- Recognize myxedema coma and thyroid storm in the perioperative period (R2, R3)
- Order testing to assess HPA axis function only in patients with unknown HPA axis function (R1, R2, R3)
- Properly dose supplemental glucocorticoids in patients with suppressed HPA axis function (R2, R3)
Download these PRACTICE CASES. They will guide your learning during this module.